Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Friday, May 16, 2008

Off we go!

So. This weekend we are off to Eugene to look at housing (of the campus variety) check out the area and attend the DH's orientation. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the housing available, it's location and it's proximity to a good elementary school.

I had hoped that we would be able to get into the DH's grandparents house as it was vacant for some time but it seems that one of his cousins (?) is now living there with her boyfriend.

I'm thinking this will actually be a good thing as we've had a bit of trouble lately with the boys sharing a room. My oldest has a bit of a cough and it's been waking up the youngest who starts crying which wakes up the oldest and then they wake us up.
Yay for all the middle of the night fun. It is now much harder to deal with since the youngest has been sleeping all the way through the night for a little while now and I admit that I have gotten somewhat used to it. DH put a three bedroom as our first choice on the housing application followed by a four bedroom, then two and so on. Our last choice is an apartment and I'm fervently praying we don't end up in that!

I'm busy trying to figure out what the boys need to spend the weekend at Grandma's house. The oldest is pretty easy, the youngest is significantly less so. He's pretty stuck in his routine so I have a feeling we'll end up packing about eight million pounds of stuff so that he doesn't give her too hard a time. It will be a little easier as we've decided to take them out and come back to the house so DH can have a quick look at my car (it's having a little trouble), I can go to the gym, we can grab our stuff and hit the road. I was somewhat concerned about packing their stuff AND our stuff into that tiny little car and still having room for car seats and human bodies. I figure that will work out the best since the road to G-ma's house and the road we need to be point in two completely different directions. I'm pretty sure we'd have to come back this way anyway.

I will admit to all my usual misgivings about moving. I'm not a big fan of it, it takes me months to feel like I live somewhere. I think this actually qualifies as one of my major neuroses. I feel like I'm a house guest when I move. I'm somewhat uncomfortable in the shower, using the bathroom, changing my clothes and things of that ilk. I think some small part of my brain expects the people that really DO live in the new place to come barging in at any second and accidentally view me in my nakedness with embarrassment and humiliation for all. The rest of my brain knows it's not going to happen, we live here now. There are no other people in the house and of the ones that live with me only one isn't ever supposed to see me with no clothes on. I haven't ever found something that has combated this, but who knows? Maybe this move will be the one that teaches me to move with confidence and comfort.

The other difficulties I think are more reasonable. I'm concerned about moving so far away from my family and friends into a much bigger city and, of course, being surrounded by hippies who only shit organic wheat grass. I'm sure I'll be wildly popular. Can't you just see the look on the face of the first person that finds out that I don't believe in global warming? THAT, dear friends, should be a hoot! It will be fun to see how nonviolent these hippies really are. I've never moved with a kid so young and I'm thinking it will be logistically ugly. All the non-essentials are already going into boxes in the garage so I figure we'll just whittle away at it over the summer and hopefully there won't be much left to be done by the time we actually have to go. We have already been getting rid of things we no longer need for months so now it's just packing stuff we actually want to keep. I've been somewhat surprised by the things I've decided to keep in the past so now is a good time to reverse those decisions.

On a funnier note, DH came home yesterday and had been working with his shirt off. Those of you who know him are aware that he's almost an albino. He made a token attempt to put sunblock on his shoulders and then apparently got tired of that, put the sunblock away and got to work. He came home with a hilarious sunburn! His neck was all red as was most of his back but from about mid-shoulder blade to the bottom of his neck was pale. He has a stripe of normal skin that spans his shoulders. It looks like a red and white color block t-shirt. If it hadn't stung by the time he got home I would have laughed at him. I asked him why he didn't use the spray stuff and got the perpetually stupid "I dunno." Very funny!

Well, I'm off to continue packing up kid stuff. Have a good weekend everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home