Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Life is weird.

So here I am, wandering aimlessly down the path of pregnancy and not putting too much thought into the differences between one kid and two. I'm not sure why this fails to set off alarm bells in my head, it probably should. I don't know if it is because I became so very good at "just getting through it" with Corbin that I know that while fun and amazing, this will be something else I will just have to get through. I know that this baby will offer me all the fun and snuggling and love that Corbin did, but it's still hard to be at home with a brand new baby. Especially if I get two colicky ones in a row. I've never been good at having a normal life without a full regimen of sleep, which I think sort of mystifies my mommy friends who are excel at it as well as the ones who are just so used to it that it fails to faze them anymore. I haven't played in the no-sleep lottery in a really long time. At least a couple of years, maybe actually a few. Now we all sleep through the night 98% of the time. The other 2% can be attributed to such non-baby reasons as: loud neighbors, insomnia, midnight snack raids, bad dreams (Corbin) involving him crying a bit and falling asleep in our bed, failing to get to sleep on time due to the new book I'm reading and not being able to set it down, nocturnal aerobics, and other things that tend to steal sleep, but not a lot of it. I've not had much insomnia with this pregnancy, and I'm grateful for it. I'm tired enough during the day without missing my sleep at night. I'm consoling myself with the logic that it won't matter how tired, stupid and unprepared I am once the baby comes, I won't have to go to work for a while. So if I'm exhausted, dumb as a brick and frumpy during that time, who cares? I won't really be going anywhere and the baby sure as heck won't care. Brandon will just be happy that I'm upright and Corb only cares if it effects something he wants, like dinner or his ability to play GameCube. Some other things that I haven't felt concerned about (yet?) are losing weight after (either it'll come off or it won't), the right time to return to work (I'll probably just know), our financial situation (it'll be a while before I can do anything about that), or how Corbin will handle this (what are his options?). I don't know if any of these issues will turn into panic later, I just know that the only reaction they illicit from me now is a shrug. Am I living in denial? I don't know. All I know is that I'm not really concerned about it. I'll figure it all out when I get there, and since I have really supportive family and friends it'll be that much easier or at least more fun to bitch about. If there's one thing I've learned from all my Girlfriends it's that with a little help and support (and sometimes with none) a mommy can get through anything. I've seen my mommy pals weather the worst emotional storms, usually accompanied by physical hardship, financial disaster, marital difficulty, PMS, a household chocolate shortage, a household, unfinished chores, behavioral crises with the other children and a mother-in-law who wouldn't shut up. There really isn't anything a mommy can't do, and do spectacularly under the worst circumstances. I'm not saying that I happen to be one of these paragons of perserverance, that would be hilarious, I'm more of the limping-along-just-barely-making-it type, but I've proven that things like six-month colic and baby constipation can be survived. I wouldn't have thought it at the time, but it can. And if I can get through it, anyone can. And I suppose I could even do it twice, but I hope to God that I don't have to!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Life Is Good said...

Not only are you weird but you are a slacker blogger!

1:11 PM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Sabrina said...

Yes, UPDATE you SLACKER!

*whipishhhhhhh*

That was me slapping you in the face. With a Glove. All indignant and stuff. Do you KNOW how OFTEN I check this thing? Like..... 4 or 5 times a DAY. To have no update.... it saddens me.

11:31 AM, May 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home