Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's much too late, for, well, pretty much everything.

Hiya. I just finished a punishing essay on the merits of immigration from the Hispanic point of view. Interesting. Just so y'all know I'm not against immigration. I generally prefer it be legal, of course, but I certainly understand the motivation behind the illegal variety. I think immigration is handled badly by the U.S. of A. that I know and love and I think the system could use some reform. I also think that our current politicians are causing a blind panic by making people think that the number of immigrants currently entering the U.S. both legally and otherwise is out of control and that Mexican folks are streaming into the country unchecked while the INS is collectively having their nails manicured and perusing the Home Shopping Network. This is utter and total bullshit, pardon my french. (Not that I speak French, well, you know what I mean.)

The truth is, about 1 million legal immigrants cross the Mexican border into the U.S. every year with about 300 to 400 thousand illegals, most of whom return to Mexico, although some do an interesting little dance with two steps into the U.S. and two steps back. Into Mexico, that is. Some come back to stay, some don't. Either way, it's not as though we are being invaded and taken over by the Borg (if you will forgive the unforgivable Star Trek reference) and assimilated into a totally different culture than we were previously. You do, believe it or not, still see white people around. Also, there are generally more white folks on welfare and government assistance than Mexican folks. Lets be honest, Americans of low income feel entitled to the assistance. I'm not saying that occasional help for someone who has paid their taxes for years and are working hard to STOP needing the assistance are mooching, I think the assistance exists for these people. I'm talking about the freeloaders. The perpetually lazy, the non-ambitious, the "everything wrong with my life is due to some tragic, unavoidable, natural disaster (like bounced checks or a DUI) or someone else's error" people. You all know who I'm talking about. Heck, you probably know someone you would attach this label to.

I have yet to meet a Hispanic person lacking in personal pride. My hubby works with five (or so) brothers who may or may not have immigrated to the U.S. legally. I'm not telling, so don't ask. The youngest picked up very functional English quickly and is somewhat less than impressed with his oldest brother for not trying harder to learn the language. He has pride. He doesn't want to be seen as the "uneducated Mexican government mooch" that politicians want to make him out to be. I mean, jeez, if we don't get the tax dollars, we at least get the consumer dollars, which I imagine to be quite a lot.

All I'm saying is, it's not as big a deal as we have been told. Do I think the immigration policies need to be revamped? Yes. We don't want to end up as overpopulated as China, China doesn't even want that. We want to maintain the quality and opportunity of life here for everyone, we can't do that if every square inch of land is six deep in people. Of any ethnicity.

Anyway, that's my two cents. If you don't like it, watch an hour of Carlos Mencia followed by an hour of Dennis Leary and read it again.

If you still don't like it, tough. That's the freedom of America, baby!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Haf3z said...

Interesting post. I'll be checking your archive later.

11:36 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, while I agree with you on most of your points, I do disagree with the idea that its really not that big of a problem. I think that there are so many people out there who want to come here for work or family and have applied for it legally who have to wait longer because others disregard the laws of our land and decide they do not want to wait. It's like budging in line. It is not fair to those that do follow the proper steps. And while almost all people who come here undocumented are law abiding, good people, there are also drug smugglers and rapists crossing the border. We have enough of our own here and do not need anymore from any other country. I think the legislation needs to be changed, but I also think it would be a slap in the face to people who put in there paperwork, waited for years to be able to come just so they could do it right, to have those who jumped a fence and chose not to obey the laws get a free pass while the others still have family waiting to come here the legal way. This is not anti-mexican or anti-immigration. Just simply pro-legal immigration.

7:22 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Life Is Good said...

I have no problem with there being people from other countries in the USA. That is what makes us what we are. However an enforced legal immigration system is needed. Why is it that any other country - Canada included has an immigration system but we are the only one being bashed for trying to set some kind of boundries for people living here. Can I just move to Germany or anywhere else and not have to go through some kind of immigration process? I think not.
I think that the special limited work cards are a great idea. Growing up in an area where migrant workers came by the hundreds every year for harvest, and having worked with them... there are a lot of Mexicans who come up, work their hind ends off and then return to support their families with the money they have earned. They would be devastated without this option.
Are there Mexicans here abusing the system? Yep but what is the excuse for the "legal" residents abusing the system? I would venture to say that most Americans take their freedoms for granted. Politics is a HUGE example.

America's problem that needs to be fixed is welfare. There is a lot of waste in the welfare system. There are a lot of people getting welfare who don't need it and people who do need it aren't getting it. We need to stop rewarding people for popping out babies as a way to avoid going to work.
Mexico needs some help so that they can be a prosperous country and their people won't want to leave so bad. Mexico is a beautiful country and it has a lot to offer. We should be helping their government and creating a North American partner instead of an enemy.

8:07 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Life Is Good said...

Have a good Easter! See yah Fri night at service, prayer vigil and then on Sunday am. I am excited to hear how your Easter meal turns out! I am sure you will do awesome!

12:54 PM, April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home